(This post may contain affiliate links)
There’s nothing worse than finding the perfect nail polish color, painting your nails, marveling at how cute they are (or take Instagram pics like me); only to have them chipping before days end.
Gel nails are the most popular remedy for that. Only thing is, gel nails at the salon could cost you a pretty penny. My mom just went to get her nails painted and they charged her $20 for gel color. TWENTY DOLLARS! Um, no thanks, I’ll pass. But I don’t wanna settle for wasted polish and time painting them if they’re gonna chip.
So, I scoured Pinterest looking for ways to do my own gel manicure. I decided to give the most popular option a try. And it worked like a charm!
- Gelous Advanced Gel Nail Polish
- Pro-FX Quick Dry High Gloss Top Coat (Use whatever top coat you prefer)
- Nail Polish Color of Your Choice
How to do it:
- Apply the first coat of the Gelous polish and wait at least 2-3 minutes for it to dry. (Most directions I saw said to use a base coat polish first. I did that, and I experienced chipping. So I decided to use the Gelous polish as a base coat and it worked perfectly!)
- Apply a coat of your polish color, and wait 2-3 minutes for it dry.
- Apply another coat of the Gelous polish and allow to dry 2-3 minutes.
- Apply one last layer of your polish color, and again let it dry for 2-3 minutes to dry.
- Lastly, apply the top coat that you chose.
- Let it dry and you’re done!
- Be sure to give yourself an actual manicure before polishing for the best look. (Buff, File, Push back cuticles, etc.)
- Make sure your hands are dry and nails are free of any lotions or oils (this can interfere with the polish adhering to the nail.
- Be sure to polish over the edge of your nail and not just the top, this will help tremendously with the no-chip we’re trying to achieve.
- Try not to get polish on your skin, it could cause the polish to lift as well.
I’ve done my nails like this a couple of times and I absolutely love this technique. Usually my nails chip the very same day, but with this technique my nails lasted 8 days before it got a chip. Yes, 8 days! So, if you’re tired of chipped nails, give this a shot and let me know how it works for you. Don’t forget to utilize some of the tips listed as well.
What’s your favorite nail polish brand? I’m a little partial to Essie. (Oh, and nudes!)
China Glaze “Give Me S’More”